Description

The Weekly Pop Culture Audio Podcast Featuring In-Depth One On One Interviews and Discussions From The Entertainment Worlds Of Genre Fiction-
Comic Books, Novels, Television, Film, Video Games And More. Created In 2005 By Chicago Radio/TV Host John Siuntres

Word Balloon Live

Listen and Download The Word Balloon Podcast

Friday, February 09, 2018

The Bendis Tapes-Leaving Marvel Joining DC Superman and a near death experience



Whew! Brian Michael Bendis has had a rollercoaster ride for the last 3 months... 

First he's leaving Marvel after 18 internet breaking years wrapping things up on his creations like Miles Morales (Spider-Man)  Riri Williams (Ironheart) and Jessica Jones .


Then he joined  DC to start a game changing run on Superman, creating a new DC imprint, and moving his Jinxworld titles (Scarlett, Taki-O, Powers) to the new company.


Then he faced a very serious health issue being infected with a septic MRSA infection nearly blinding and killing him (no hyperbole).


Thankfully he's getting better every day, and has joined Word Balloon Host John Siuntres in this marathon conversation. 


We'll get lots of details about how he sees Superman, Clark Kent, Lois and his whole supporting cast. You'll hear details about Action 1000 featuring his first Superman story, drawn by the legendary Jose Luis Garcia Lopez, The DC Nation special issue with stories by Bendis Scott Snyder and Tom King, his 6 weekly issues of Man Of Steel and writing Action and Superman . 


You'll also hear about Brian's health scare that nearly cost him his life, the courage and strength of his wife Alissa, and  great tales of support from Brian's best friends in comics, the fans, and many creators editors and publishers in the entire comics community. 


Here are some highlights from the talk


On leaving Marvel at this particular time-


"Legacy felt like these stories could be the "last stories" for these characters Riri Miles and Jessica...(Executive Editor) Tom Brevort came to me with offers to write Deadpool & Wolverine and some other big projects. Tom was being ambitious, but it felt like the mountain had already been climbed. "


"It was sad to write to my friends at Marvel that I had to go, because they're still my friends ... I was worried about my relationship with Joe (Quesada) because Joe is awesome. There was nothing to worry about . We're great."


"CB Cebulski being named EIC at Marvel brings me such joy, but I'm not part of it. I do know with CB there, what I helped build with Marvel will be maintained and thrive. What else could I ask for?" 


"I know people are tuning in to hear me say something bad about Marvel, but I gotta say there's no drama or gossip. I heard both company's plans for the future and they're both very good. There's more that I can accomplish with what DC was offering . There's more partnership involved. A deep partnership that Marvel, you know...they're not in that business right now. "


"I am of the unpopular belief that DC and Marvel are not in competition. They're in the same business keeping the medium alive...friendly competition will bring great products." 


"It did feel to me that we (The comics industry) needed some more of this stirring of the pot right now, and if I got off my ass, maybe others will get off their asses which seems to be going on and that makes me happy. "



On DC Publisher Dan DiDio's  offer to come over and a secret storyline Easter egg -


"Dan came to me with his master plan ...DiDio has plans for the publishing market that are unbelievable. He knows what he needs to implement the plan and I couldn't jump on fast enough...


"I like Dan a great deal... He texted me saying ' I have a creative challenge for you.'

It's something about the 80's which you'll see in my work later in the year , because I did accept his challenge . I texted back - You and I would've been friends in high school." 

On Taking over Superman instead of Batman 


" I said to Dan if Superman is available sometime in my contract , I want to take a shot at it. I think he thought I was going to ask for Batman...but I think Batman is well taken care of. Not That Superman isn't as well, the Mr Oz story is phenomenal, but one was pulling to me more. Dan said 'We're gonna start a new direction with Action 1000. What a great place to land you and say this is part of the legacy and how much we believe in it. ' ... I would literally have to start writing for DC the day after I finished writing for Marvel, but we could do it." 


On Moving his Jinxworld books to DC DC Imprint.


(For the Jinxworld line if books, this isn't just publishing my work and hoping for the best. They're treating the books as their own. There's a marketing campaign and a distribution campaign . It gives us an unheard of 2nd chance to get Jinxworld up and running at a level it should have been running at the entire time, which is more robust. We'll have Scarlett Vol 3 and The Powers Graphic Novel, and announce new books about a month from now (At Emerald City Comic-Con) featuring some really big collaborators people will be really excited about." 


Will Bendis write for DC Television shows or DCU Films

"At the moment I am not. The things I'm doing in TV and film haven't been announced yet but they are happening, and very exciting."

Plus more details about Bendis's new DC imprint 


behind the scenes stories at DC about the Superman Shorts debate,


The 2003 Batman/Daredevil Crossover (co written with Ed Brubaker) that almost happened. 


Tales from an ill fated all-star Superman Parade from years past in Cleveland, that was supposed to raise funds to build a Superman Museum 

and much more




1 comment:

charlie brown said...

Hi John!
I'm David Padovani, editor in chief of Lo Spazio Bianco (www.lospaziobianco.it - www.lospaziobianco.com), an italian webzine about comics.
I'm also a listener of your beautiful podcast. I'd like to ask you something about the use of the contents of your podcast.
Could you write me at davpad@gmail.com or send me your email, please?
Thanks and b.t.w., great interview with B.M. Bendis ;-)